With growing demand for energy generation and increasing amounts of renewable power in the grid, new challenges emerge: imbalance loads and difficulties with an integration of diverse resources. Considering these challenges, companies need to find cost-effective solutions to integration different energy sources and transform their business models to benefit from reliable, fast, safe and more profitable grid management. To tackle these challenges and balance demand response Solvera Lynx developed Gemalogic Virtual Power Plant Platform to deliver clear demand response for grid operators and power utilities. Our VPP solution is a cost effective alternative for contributing to economic efficiency for all participants, utility access to energy & demand, well-distributed energy resources and reducing the environmental footprint.
SOLVERA LYNX’S VPP SOLUTION:
Gemalogic Virtual Power Plant provides control of electric energy consumption & production through aggregating distributed energy resources and loads providing demand response functionality. Utilities can benefit from ancillary energy services at competitive prices or sell energy on the wholesale market, control and optimize internal production, balance energy loads and integrate diverse energy sources – all with one software solution. The target audience of our solution are electricity retailers, energy service companies and electric utilities wishing to expand their service portfolio.
Functionalities: Gemalogic VPP platform combines functions of monitoring and controlling distributed energy resources, forecasting the industrial loads, optimization techniques for cost effective engagement of energy resources with modern communications and information technology. It provides tools to the aggregator – the ability to participate in the energy balancing markets, ancillary services markets and wholesale energy markets. Gemalogic VPP offers different ancillary service functions (like tertiary and secondary regulation) needed by TSO. That gives you an opportunity to Increase your earnings by offering services to the transmission system operator (TSO).
Special functionalities: The platform includes special functionalities for the online aggregation of intense data flows and near real-time system response. The platform provides support for the full process of activation. The prediction model management functionality helps to find the best prediction model for each resource in the right situation. Models employ methods of artificial intelligence and machine learning which help the models to adequately describe each resource.
User interfaces: There are two user interfaces. First is the user interface for the VPP operator with a Monitoring panel, an Activation Panel, Alarms and Alerts Panel, a Settlement Panel and a Resources panel. The VPP partner interface excludes some functionality from the Activation Panel and limits the partner’s access to only their own data. Dashboards contain an overview of key performance indicators, such as activation success, payments, and CO2 emissions savings; they can get access to load profiles of their energy productions and consumption.
HOW GEMALOGIC VIRTUAL POWER PLANT WORKS?
For monitoring and controlling the resources, communication gateways ComBox.M is used (Figure 1). The gateways communicate with GemaLogic VPP over a mobile communication network, which proved to be very reliable and faster to deploy. Gemalogic VPP is compatible with most industrial protocols and enables capture, storage and analysis of gigabytes of data like energy metering and process sensor data.
BENEFITS FROM USING OUR VPP:
Demand response that provides greater reliability to the network and actively engages all participants
- Avoid disruption on the grid
- Effectively engage with utility consumers on demand response
- Reduce energy demand at peak hours
- Optimize the electricity schedule
- Lower risks and minimize costs of energy balancing
- Provide renewable energy supplies in targeted areas
- Effectively balance utility portfolios and bidding into reserve markets
- Trade on ancillary services market
- Connect thousands of sensors in factories and buildings so that at any point in time, the aggregator will know exactly how much flexible power they have at their disposal
- Increase revenues from providing new energy services
WHY SOLVERA LYNX?
- Tailor-made service packages. Full customization of our advanced software solution, addressing real utility’s needs, creating reliable and trustworthy plant energy management
- Expertise. Our VPP solution is successfully operating for more than 2 years providing tertiary reserve system to TSO. Use case is avalibale here https://www.solvera-lynx.com/en/study/english-virtual-power-plant-solution-for-a-major-european-energy-retailer/